Saturday, August 11, 2007

Peach Berry Cobbler


I’ve finally decided what to make with the gorgeous peaches I got last week at the farmers market. Peach Cobbler. I went back to the market and picked up some strawberries and blackberries to add to the fruit. The cobbler topping is a thin dumpling batter that bakes up into a moist soft top.

This recipe came about from making a topping that was just thin enough to slip between the pieces of fruit and cook in the juices, steaming to a perfect soft dumpling finish. Some of the batter stays on top of the fruit, where it is dusted with sugar and bakes up into a wonderful crunchy foil to the tender filling.



Filling
6 peaches sliced
1 pint strawberries halved
1 pint black berries
juice and zest of one lemon
½ C sugar
¼ tsp almond extract

Dumpling Topping

3 large eggs
½ C whole milk
3T butter melted
5T sour cream
1tsp vanilla extract
1 ¾ C all purpose flour
6T sugar
1 ½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt

3T cinnamon sugar for topping

Preheat the oven to 350. Butter a 9 x 13” baking dish.

To make the filling slice the peaches into a large bowl, combine with the berries, lemon zest and juice, sugar and almond extract and mix well using your hands. Transfer the fruit to the prepared baking dish.

To make the dumpling topping combine the eggs milk, butter, sour cream and vanilla and whisk together in a large bowl. In a second bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and whisk just until combined.

Spoon the batter over the fruit in an even layer. Some will sink in between the fruit and some will remain on top. Sprinkle the top with the cinnamon sugar. Bake the cobbler on the middle rack of the oven. Place a lined sheet pan on the rack bellow to catch the drippings. Bake for one hour. To test for doneness use a knife to peek into the topping to check the crumb structure to see if it has baked through. Serve hot, warm or at room temperature with ice cream, whipped cream or cream anglaise.

This recipe comes from one of my favorite cookbooks, Tartine by Elisabeth m Prueitt and Chad Robertson. They have a famous bakery down in San Francisco. I’m taking a eating trip down to the bay area next month and Tartine is one of the places I’m planning on visiting. I’ll give a full report after my trip.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks excellent. I will try this one this upcoming weekend.

I'm curious as to what is the difference between a cobbler, grunt or a buckle? I have heard all of these terms describing what appears to be the same thing. Are those just regionally specific terms for the same thing, or are they subtly different? Any knowledge to pass on?

Keith said...

I'm going to see if I can find out. I have a feeling they are probably regionally specific terms, but now I'm really curious. I'll put my people to work on it. I liked this recipe because it was a little different. The batter produced a very cake like topping. After eating it I think I like a crumbly short bread topping better. I'm going to come up with another recipe. Let me know how yours turns out.

Katybun said...

I have made cobbler before but never tried it with mixed fruit. I must have a go at trying your recipe out. Thanks

Anonymous said...

After getting more than 10000 visitors/day to my website I thought your speakeasydining.blogspot.com website also need unstoppable flow of traffic...

Use this BRAND NEW software and get all the traffic for your website you will ever need ...

= = > > http://get-massive-autopilot-traffic.com

In testing phase it generated 867,981 visitors and $540,340.

Then another $86,299.13 in 90 days to be exact. That's $958.88 a
day!!

And all it took was 10 minutes to set up and run.

But how does it work??

You just configure the system, click the mouse button a few
times, activate the software, copy and paste a few links and
you're done!!

Click the link BELOW as you're about to witness a software that
could be a MAJOR turning point to your success.

= = > > http://get-massive-autopilot-traffic.com